I don’t know how to start. None of this seems right. That’s my problem, that’s The problem.
No beginning is good enough to start anything. Maybe then, it is better to wait, till I think of a way, how to do it.
To be perfect, different, authentic, original, complicated nevertheless.
Because I know what I want. It is just that, when you are so very, very different, unusual and upside down you need a perfect plan for any of your complications to come true.
I’ll come to it, in time, anytime, some time or never…
Or maybe when I think of it, am I good enough to have such a quest? What do I know, do I know enough?
How could I ever think I can do it or that I will make it? So many others, much better than me, failed.
Success is a mountain of trying, failing and coming back, am I strong enough to make it to the top?
And every day, everything starts like this. How to overcome it? How to find a solution when you cannot even bear thinking of how big is a problem? You can find millions of excuses, ways to postpone the inevitable, but so much energy, stress and time goes into thin air and for what?
Since I do not have enough life for so much waiting, nor patience, there are some tips & tricks I do to overcome it.
- First of all, I can do it, mantra, is not like it is working always but fake it to make it, if you have to.
- If you can choose, and actually we can, start with little steps, small tasks and easy chores.
You can start making a cake by choosing a recipe, buying ingredients and thinking of decorations.
The first step of calling for a job interview can be researching about a position or employer.
Learning for an exam more easily starts with a list of questions and literature you have to find.
Initiate house cleaning by washing your sink, dusting or reorganizing books, whatever seems less boring or a bit fun.
- Making a schedule could be a bit scary too, but nevertheless, it is dealing with our tasks and breaking it in a sequence of small steps. That way is easier to overcome the beginning and making the first, the one that seems so hard.
- The timeline is tricky, sometimes it can make you start, because you have no choice, others is a sword above your head and yet you cannot do anything.
- Sketches, some easy going drafts, list of ideas, is like you are not doing anything yet, but actually this is the best and very important way of giving shape of what you have to do. From there, anything can start with enthusiasm not heavily weighted fears.
- Making it fun, easy going, like a game, creative mumbo jumbo is always helping. Like when we were kids, the best learning or doing chores, was when we were not even aware we are doing anything useful, we were just having fun.
- Everyday practices or routines are inevitables. Doing dishes, shaving, laundry, shopping, going to work, talking to boring and annoying people, writing emails, cleaning of any kind, traffic jams, and so on…
To survive, find something that will be your reward, every time you finish what you do not like doing. Something that makes you happy, that gives you pleasure. Like, when you drive the kids to school, take the way that you really like, because the best coffee is near. After all day cleaning, order your favorite take away and watch a good movie. You have to schedule a meeting with an awful business partner, but afterwards, go for a drink with your friends.
That way, you have something looking forward and just like with a dog, you will be rewarded. Why not, it works like a charm!
- And one of my favorites, damn it, I’ll do it anyhow, I don’t care! When I am sick of all those fears, postponing, losing strength without even doing anything, I’ll just start not caring how it goes! Let’s see, maybe I’ll ruin it maybe it will be brilliant, anything is better than this!
The thing with avoiding procrastination is to go with a flow without overthinking. It is just horribly difficult to start and at the same time somehow bear the fear that you can fail.
Very often, we were once told or taught, that it is the best way to start with the hardest task, the biggest problem and then when you beat that, you will easily do the smaller and less demanding ones.
What a rubbish!
You cannot be better if you lose all your strength and with resolving problems bigger than you.
For me, step by step coming to difficult ones is much better. Because I progress with being proud of myself, because I finished something with success, not exhausted, beaten and just satisfied I finally made it even it is not the best I could.
I feel it is not even the natural way of doing most of the things. You build a house with foundation, not the roof. The tree grows from a seed not from a crown.
Life itself, is a sequence of phases, how come then, it is the best to do the hardest thing first and then you will win anything you want?
Procrastination is not an excuse. Not a way to fool around doing nothing. Procrastination is usually an overwhelming feeling of responsibility and jitters. You are not a slacker quite contrary, you care way too much to do anything badly, so beginnings have that enormous weight.
Somehow, we have to let it go. The world will not collapse if we make a mistake… There is always more time, but let’s make it be our time.
Or just an adventure…
Damn it, who cares!!?